Senior Bookkeeper / Accountant
Bass Coast Festival is hiring a full charge bookkeeper or accountant to lead a small finance team and care for the financial health of our organization. This is a part-time remote position that averages 30 hours/week with increased hours May-Sept. Only applicants residing in British Columbia will be considered. Must be legally eligible to work unrestricted in Canada.
This position plays a vital role in the day-to-day operations of our entire organization by performing accounting and financial administrative duties as a core member of our team. Responsible for working to achieve and maintain the financial health of our organization, this position will maintain accurate records and is required to remain compliant with all laws and company policies at all times. High ethics, integrity, and accountability are integral qualities for this role.
Bass Coast Festival is a thoughtfully curated boutique electronic music and art festival that takes place in the picturesque shared traditional and unceded territories of the Nłeʔkepmx and Syilx. Moving into its 16th year, Bass Coast has garnered a global reputation for showcasing innovative international talent and providing a springboard for Canadian artists.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or Business Administration focused in accounting.
- 5 years minimum experience as a full charge bookkeeper or accountant
- 2 years minimum in coordinating office or administrative functions
- Experience in the music industry is an asset but not required.
- Practical experience with SAGE accounting software & spreadsheets (Google Sheets).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of critical thinking and a determination to problem solve.
- Enjoys organizing, establishing and managing priorities with a sense of urgency.
- Self-motivated and enjoys working independently and within a highly collaborative team.
Bookkeeping Duties duties may include:
- Using cloud based Sage 50 Canada, manage all data entry for A/R, A/P.
- Prepare and post receipts, deposits, purchase orders, invoices, refunds, bank reconciliation and other standard bookkeeping tasks.
- Bank reconciliation for all corporate and partnership entities, review and reconcile all intercompany transactions.
- Prepare all GST, Worksafe BC, CRA, ETaxBC, NRT, and Entandem payments and filing requirements.
- Oversight of files pertaining to legal records, tax records, leases, employee files and other corporate records as determined by the Directors.
- Oversee the processing of payroll and benefits administration for the organization through third party providers.
- Prepare monthly payroll, source deductions, issue T4s, T4As, and annual T4NR reports and payments
- Oversee a high volume of payments & reimbursements in the festival season.
- Prepare monthly financial reports i.e. Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Ledger, Cash Flow Projection
- Review the ledger monthly with the Production Manager and adjust as necessary.
- Prepare the company year end for the accountant, for two corporations and a not for profit incorporated Society.
- Prepare budgets and reports to support the Production Manager with grant applications and final reports.
- Assist the Directors and the Production Manager in the preparation of annual budgets.
- Responsible for filling out finance and administration related forms & credit applications
- Prepare revenue and expense budget for all property holdings.
- Manage the relationships with suppliers and related vendors.
- Monitor all bank accounts and make transfers to manage minimum balances
- Other bookkeeping duties as required.
- Mentor and direct a supporting team of up to two finance assistants during the peak season.
Administrative Duties may include:
- Training, coaching, and mentoring for staff assisting with the financial duties of the organization.
- Oversee and streamline operational efficiencies, databases, filing systems.
- Review the financial systems for individual departments within the organization. Develop and implement process improvements.
- Review the accountability systems within the organization.
- Attending the festival in Merritt, BC to oversee the finance department on site.
- Ensure shareholders have formal annual meetings and the minutes are filed.
- Visits to TD & RBC bank, ensure the account types are appropriate and economical.
- Participate in meetings when needed.
- Research for special projects.
- Other duties as required.
As the company grows and evolves, these responsibilities will evolve and develop. We will provide an environment in which you can make valuable contributions from day one while also building opportunities for personal learning and growth. The work you’ll do will directly impact the experience, and success, of our business.
Salary / Benefits
Competitive compensation package based on qualifications.
- Salary is $30-40 / hr, commensurate with experience
- 2 weeks paid vacation – prorated (not during high season June-Aug)
- Paid sick leave
- Comprehensive benefits after the 3 month probationary period
Hours and Compensation
This is a part-time, permanent position, requiring on average 30 hours/week.
Bass Coast offers an innovative, flexible and creative work environment. All Bass Coast employees work remotely and are required to have their own computer, printer, file storage and workspace (whether at home or elsewhere). The successful candidate will be able to work both independently and work remotely via zoom with team members. In-person meetings will be required throughout the year.
HOW TO APPLY
Bass Coast Project Ltd is an equal opportunity employer offering a fair, co-operative, respectful, safe, and healthy work environment. We conduct hiring on the basis of employment equity. Employment equity is designed to compensate for the nonexistence of a level playing field with regard to people’s experiences and job qualifications, given structural injustices and systemic discrimination that marginalize certain groups. Bass Coast welcomes and encourages applications from Indigenous people, Black people, people of colour, women, LGBTQ2SIA+ people, people with disabilities, people living in poverty, and newcomers to Canada.
To apply please fill out the application form link below and include a cover letter and resume demonstrating your interest in the position and your fit for the duties and qualifications noted.
Please include a cover letter and resume demonstrating your interest in the position and fit for the duties and qualifications noted. Please answer the following questions in your cover letter.
- What steps do you take to ensure timely completion when navigating multiple deadlines in the context of accounting projects?
- Describe your range of responsibilities at your current or previous employment and how it relates to this position.
- Please upload or link to a spreadsheet you have created to demonstrate your proficiency in Excel or Google Sheets.
Applications will only be accepted through the online application form below.
Posting will remain open until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants, but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Please do not contact us directly about the application status.