What is MOOP?
LEAVE NO TRACE
MOOP means MATTER OUT OF PLACE. It refers to anything that is not originally of the land on which our event takes place. MOOP your campsite and the surrounding area.
- RINSE YOUR RECYCLING
- CLEAN HARD PLASTIC, #1-7 (INCLUDING THE NON-COMPOSTABLE TYPE OF PLASTIC CUPS), EXCLUDING BEVERAGE CONTAINERS (THESE GO INTO RETURNABLES)
- PLASTIC CAPS, TOPS, LIDS AND PUMPS
- CLEAN TIN CANS
- AEROSOL CANS (EMPTY)
- ALL OTHER METALS, EXCLUDING ALUMINUM CANS (THESE GO INTO RETURNABLES)
- FOIL WRAP AND TAKE OUT CONTAINERS
- DRY, FLATTENED, BROKEN DOWN CARDBOARD
- DRY, UNSOILED PAPER
SPECIAL RECYCLING: THE BELOW ITEMS CAN BE BROUGHT TO THE ECO HUB FOR RECYCLING:
- Cigarette butts (these can be disposed of and recycled in the butt bin at the Eco Hub or in the butt bins at the tripods, via Brain Garden. In all other cases, cigarette butts are landfill.)
- Untreated wood
- Clean soft plastics (plastic bags and plastic wrap)
- RINSE YOUR RETURNABLES
- ALUMINUM CANS
- PLASTIC DRINK BOTTLES
- TETRAPAK CONTAINERS
- ALL BEVERAGE CONTAINERS
- CHIP BAGS & CANDY WRAPPERS
- ALL FOOD WASTE
- SOILED RECYCLABLES THAT CANNOT BE CLEANED
- ALL WET, DIRTY, UNCLEANABLE INORGANIC MATERIAL
WHERE DOES OUR RECYCLING GO?
Curious about where our recycling goes after we finish sorting it? We work with several service providers to make sure we recycle as much material as possible.
- Returnables (beverage containers) go to the Merritt Return-It Depot.
- Recyclable material that isn’t a returnable (hard & soft plastics, tins, paper, cardboard, batteries, etc) goes to the Lower Nicola Eco-Depot.
- Cigarette butts go to the BrainGarden. The ash, tobacco, and paper are composted and the filter is recycled into plastic pellets used for industrial materials, which raises money for BrainGarden’s sustainability initiatives.
THE BASS COAST ECO HUB
The HQ of all things Green Team at Bass Coast.
Bring us your sorted camp waste at the Eco Hub.
Come wash your reusable container after using it to eat at the food vendors.
Ask us your sustainability questions. We would love to connect with all Bass Coast community members that care about the environment and the unique role our community contributes to sustainable practices on our planet.
Cigarette filters are the worst form of MOOP.
- Butts are the most littered item in the world, an estimated 4.95 trillion are littered annually worldwide, thats 1.69 billion lbs!
- Carelessly discarded cigarette butts are the cause of countless unnecessary wildfires.
- Wildlife can often mistake butts for food. It poisons them, plugs up their bellies and causes death for animals such as fish, birds and frogs.
- The chemicals of one cigarette butt can contaminate approximately 7.5 litres of water in 1 hour. Contaminated water is lethal to aquatic life.
Bass Coast is dedicated to LEAVE NO TRACE. We have teamed up with our friends at www.braingarden.ca to provide an effective harm reduction tool called The Pocket Ashtray ... a reusable, flexible, air-tight pouch made of recycled materials that suffocates smokables and traps odour inside. Outreach staff will be distributing pocket ashtrays or available for purchase at the Bass Coast General Store.
Find the “Butt Bin” at the Eco-Hub to empty your Pocket Ashtrays. The cigarette waste will be recycled. This process generates donations to the BrainGarden's Wildfire Prevention and education campaign.
Please use a Pocket Ashtray while onsite at Bass Coast and at home.
Find the "Butt Ballot" at the Eco-Hub to empty your Pocket Ashtrays. The cigarette waste will be recycled. This process generates donations to the BrainGarden's Wildfire Prevention and Education campaign
Please use your Pocket Ashtray while onsite at Bass Coast and at home.
© 2023 Copyright Bass Coast Project